Job Title: Office Associate
Hours: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week Start Date: ASAP Supervision: Position reports to the Administrative Director
Location: In-person/42 Lagrange St. Rear, Worcester, MA 01610 Hiring: Open until Filled
Compensation: $17-$20/hour DOE and a benefits package that includes health & dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, 13 Paid holidays, 2 weeks’ vacation, 3 personal days, and 12 sick days, professional development and skills-building opportunities
The Regional Environmental Council, Inc. (REC) is a grassroots, nonprofit, food justice organization with a 50-year history of working for environmental sustainability and social justice in Worcester and Central Massachusetts. Our mission is to bring people together to create a just food system and to build healthy, sustainable, and equitable communities in Worcester, MA and beyond. The Office Associate supports the Administrative Director in ensuring the efficient operation of all organization functions and activities. The ideal candidate is self-motivated and highly organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines, and works well both independently and in a team environment. Candidates should also have an eagerness to develop nonprofit administration skills and share a commitment to addressing environmental, food, social and racial justice issues.
What You’ll Do Key Responsibilities:
- Serve as first point of contact for the public, answer phones, address general queries, direct callers to appropriate staff and take & deliver timely detailed messages.
- Retrieve and process mail received from P.O. Box located in downtown Worcester.
- Field volunteer inquiries and applications; answer questions and connect volunteers with most appropriate staff.
- Process bi-weekly employee timesheets
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings and monthly Board of Directors meetings, take and distribute minutes.
- Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors, management, and staff, as needed.
- Schedule meetings and trainings and help maintain internal calendars. Other Responsibilities: – Under the supervision of the Admin Director, collect, code, and record transactions, and serve as point of contact for our financial services vendor
- Help recruit, orient, and supervise volunteers, interns, and work-study students to assist with office management activities.
- Under the supervision of the Admin Director, generate content for and distribute monthly Administration Newsletter to staff
- Maintain physical and electronic files/folders related to confidential employee information, grants, trainings, reference, and governance documents.
- Organize and coordinate office maintenance, janitorial services, mailing, printing, supplies, equipment, IT, phones, and maintain relationships with relevant vendors. – Other duties as assigned.
Who You Are:
The REC recognizes people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. When reviewing applications we take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. With this in mind, preference is given to candidates that demonstrate the most qualifications, skills, and experiences listed below.
You must be:
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, highly organized and reliable
- Comfortable working alone and in teams
- Able to manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines
- Great with people and have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Friendly and attentive in person and on the phone with great customer service skills
- Willing to pick up and dispose of litter and trash that collects outside and around the office, to clean sinks, dishes, and appliances, sweep floors, and engage in similar manual work to keep our office neat and tidy in between janitorial visits.
- Interested in and have a commitment to environmental, food, social, and racial justice issues Able to access reliable transportation
It would also be great if you:
- Are bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Are proficient in online collaboration, project management, and storage software (Zoom, Asana Dropbox, Google Apps)
- Are knowledgeable of online databases and web browsers for research
- Possess expertise using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Have a current driver’s license and clean driving record
How to Apply If interested:
Please send a resume with a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Included in the subject line: “Office Associate.” For the safety and protection of all REC Staff & Community Partners, all staff are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per the CDC definition. Accommodation requests will be considered through our normal request process. The Regional Environmental Council, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer M/F and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. The REC does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status.